How to Pack Boxes Effectively for Self Storage
Using Storage in Exeter can be a fantastic way of safely storing items that you simply don’t have space for, whether it be at home or work. Whether you’re storing a few items or many of your belongings, packing can often seem daunting. However, Your Store Exeter has extensive experience in packing and storing objects safely and securely stored. So, we thought we would share some advice on how to pack boxes in a straightforward, stress-free and successful manner. Follow these five steps and packing will be a breeze – then we’ll take care of the rest.
Step 1: Planning
Ensuring that you have efficiently planned your storage packing process will make the process considerably faster, easier and much less stressful. Perhaps get a pen and some paper and begin making checklists of the following steps so that you can be sure you have executed every aspect of the packing process for a straightforward experience.
- First, identify the items that you want to pack. Make a checklist of all of these items that you can update as you go.
- Mark boxes according to what you will pack inside them – not just ‘fragile’, but also ‘clothes’, ‘appliances’, ‘books’ and so on. This will help you to remember which items are more robust and can be stacked on top of.
- Group items in one place by fragility or weight before packing so you can keep track of which boxes can sustain others being stacked on top.
- Prioritise the boxed items you will want to access most frequently so you can place them to the front of the unit, and mark these boxes as such.
Step 2: Collecting resources
Of course, you can’t pack without boxes and a range of other supplies. It’s important to invest in these items so that your goods will be secure and ordered. Luckily, many of these supplies are inexpensive and readily available.
- Pick up a collection of good quality, sturdy boxes and packing materials. Don’t be tempted by free supermarket boxes – not only do these cheap boxes lack in quality and strength, which could lead to your items becoming damaged, but they will also be mismatched in size and shape, which will make effective stacking difficult. For larger items such as appliances, you can purchase speciality boxes so that they will never be forced into boxes too small or left to rattle around in oversized ones.
- Wrap breakable in bubble wrap – this is much more effective than other materials such as paper because it is cleaner and transparent, allowing easy identification of your belongings. It can also be recycled, which will save you money next time you need to pack.
- Make sure that you buy a lot of tape for securing boxes. You are almost guaranteed to need more than you expect, so stock up – you can always save any excess for other purposes.
Step 3: Preparing items for boxed storage
One of our most frequently asked questions about self storage is how to prepare them before packing to make sure that they remain in good condition during the time they are stored. There are several things you can do to ensure your belongings are as good as new throughout their time in storage.
- Wipe down the inside of any appliances – particularly kitchen items – with baking soda before packing them. This will keep them clean, and, importantly, dry, so that they do not rust in storage.
- Spray any wooden items, particularly furniture with a good quality furniture polish before storing to keep them protected and in good condition.
- Also, treat leather items with a conditioner before packing for the same purpose.
- Use a small amount of oil to wipe metal items before storing to avoid rusting that could occur when they are out of use, to ensure they work just as well when you get them out of storage.
- Consider storing clothes, bedding, and other soft items in vacuum-sealed bags. This will
- keep them clean and dry, preventing mould, and will also allow you to fit more clothes in your boxes.
- And, of course, wrap all fragile items and breakables separately and securely in bubble wrap.
Step 4: Pack boxes
It’s essential to try to pack all of your belongings in boxes wherever possible, as unboxed items could get dusty. To maximise the use of your storage facility space and keep all of your goods protected, try to pack boxes as efficiently as possible.
- Pack boxes to their capacity. If boxes are half-full, their contents can shift during transport or stacking, which could cause damage. The corners and sides of boxes can also collapse if they are not filled. Consider how you can pack items to fill boxes to the maximum, and use foam peanuts to fill in any gaps.
- Try to balance the weight in boxes evenly in all corners, so they are not likely to fall over when stacked.
- For particularly fragile items, use strong or reinforced boxes, and make sure that any gaps between bubble-wrapped items are always filled with paper or foam fillers. Remember to always mark clearly as ‘fragile’ and pack into the unit last.
- For items such as books, consider how packing may affect their quality – lay books flat to avoid damaging their spines, for instance.
- Try to pack electrical equipment in their original boxes, as this will allow you to identify them easily and will also make it easier to claim warranty should it be required in the future. If you do need to use other boxes, choose ones that are as close in size to the appliance as possible, filling all gaps.
- Always clearly label all boxes on every side so that you can always identify the contents.
Step 5: Keeping track of your self storage items
- It can be very handy to keep an inventory of items as you pack, and type this up neatly when you are done so that you remember what’s in your storage container should you need it. Consider marking roughly where certain items are, too, to make finding them easier.
- Always stack the items you will need to use the closest to the entrance of the storage container for easy access.
Of course, the most important step in preparing your items for storage is choosing the best facility. For expert, reliable self storage, Your Store Exeter can supply everything you need, with reasonably priced units easily accessible by car in a highly secured site. Check out what we offer or call us on 01392 253119 to find out more about our services and even get more tips on how to pack boxes for self storage!